Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We left Salem this morning pretty early and headed on into Boston. What a great place!!! Of course we were way to early to check into our hotel, but we wanted to leave our luggage while we did some sightseeing. The valet guys were so excited that we had come all the way from Texas to see Boston that we literally couldn't get them to stop telling us what to see and how to get there! Really, really great guys...with really great Boston accents! Of course, later when Scott was at the concierge desk inquiring about Red Sox tickets and asked me if I wanted to go, I answered,"Heck Yeah!" and the guy died laughing at MY accent!


Boston is not at all what I had expected. I think I had Philadelphia in mind. Boston couldn't be more different. After parking at the hotel, we headed to Quincy Market, an outdoor marketplace, for lunch. Faneuil Hall is also there. This is the place where The Sons of Liberty met to discuss all the rotten things King George was doing to the colonists. This is the site of the first town hall meeting, and the place where the phrase "taxation without representation" was first uttered. I was in total awe. You have no idea how many times I have taught about the Son's of Liberty and the events leading up to the American Revolution and how they came to shape our government. To stand in the very hall where all that began is pretty dog gone amazing if you ask me. This is the statue of Samuel Adams in front of the building...
Of course my family was far more entertained by the street performer in front of Faneuil Hall...
There was a guy who juggled all manner of different things and put on quite a performance. Mandy was even chosen to "assist" in the show...

After lunch we walked most of the Freedom Trail. Our first stop was The Old State House. This was the balcony where the Declaration of Independence was first read to the people of Boston...Inside is a great museum. You know how I love to be in the presence of history, so I am including a few of the things that left me amazed that I was gazing upon them!!! First, was this vial of actual tea from the Boston Tea Party. TEA! From the Boston Tea Party!!!One of the men who helped dump the tea kept what he poured out of his boots afterward.

This is an actual coat of John Hancock's!!! Seriously...this coat was actually worn by the President of the Continental Congress and the first person to commit treason and sign the Declaration of Independence!!!!! The book of Psalms that he carried with him is also on display in the case. There were a few other things that left me amazed, but I promise I won't post all of them!
Here is a picture of Scott in front of The Old State House standing in the spot where the Boston Massacre took place.... Next was the Old South Meeting House. This is the Puritan church where they met the night of the Boston Tea Party. They don't allow pictures inside, but the pews are all enclosed and each family had it's own section. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen and the kids were very curious about it. The thing they liked the best was that this was where Benjamin Franklin was baptized!
Next, was the site of the Oldest Public School in America!! Like we would pass that up??!!
The school is still in operation, it's just moved to the Fenway section of Boston. It was the first public school in America. Alumni include: Ben Franklin, John Hancock, Samuel Adams and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Next was the Granary Burying Ground where we paid our respects to Paul Revere...
John Hancock...
Ben Franklin's parents....

the victims of the Boston Massacre...
Samuel Adams....
....and Mother Goose! Last night the Boston Celtics won the NCAA basketball championship...SERIOUS business here in Boston. EVERYONE you pass is talking about it. This morning the chocolate donuts we had for breakfast looked like this..They have tents set up all over selling the championship t-shirts... Then when we got to the State Capitol...This town is serious about the Celtics and the Red Sox...very intense. Tomorrow is the parade for the Celtics and we are going to try and see it!


We also went to the Cheers Bar today!

We had dinner at an Irish pub and are now back at the hotel for the night. We have changed our plans just slightly and are staying in Boston for three nights so that we can see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park on Friday. Tomorrow we are going to the JFK Library and to see the Old North Church!
Mandy has been feeling left out of the Top Five, so she had to have a little input tonight!

Thomas Top Five:
1.The Old State House 2. Dinner-Awesome Macaroni 3.Watching Mandy in the juggling show 4.Playing with my Revolutionary war army men 5. Writing my script. (He's writing a screenplay for a new Indiana Jones movie!)

Grace Top Five:
1.Macaroni at dinner 2.Watching the juggler on the street 3.The cemetery 4.The church where Ben Franklin was "babatized." 5.The capitol

Mandy's Favorite's
1. "Watching that guy on the street." "Going to that church with those numbers." (The pews were numbered at the Old South Meeting place and she had a great time trying to count!)
Blessings,
Leslie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cheers Bar I completely understand. Was Norm there?

Aunt Robyn said...

Hey Scott, did you get another Cheers t-shirt? I think I'm going to Boston next month for business so you guys will have to give me the top 3 spots to see since I won't have a lot of spare time.

Anonymous said...

Okay you guys! I LOVED your Boston excursion. I remember being wowed by the Freedom Trail, too, Leslie. SO MUCH HISTORY in SUCH A TINY PLACE it seemed!

I've passed your blog address along to a friend who is considering taking a year with his family and going on a seafaring adventure in their boat. I told him to take a look at all your kids are experiencing and learning together. I know he will be inspired!

Have fun!

Blessings,

Rhonda