Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day Fourteen--Boston

Another breakfast of Dunkin Donuts...

I swear Scott is becoming addicted. It's a good thing we don't have these on every corner at home like they do up here in the Northeast! The kids were eating at the counter that faced the street so Scott went outside to take their pictures.

We then drove to Columbia Point where the JFK Library is located. Yea!This was really, really cool!! There is not as much there as I had anticipated, but it was all exhibited very well. The building was designed by I.M. Pei and overlooks Boston and the Harbor because both were such a big part of his life. The museum ends in this huge 3 story glass room that faces the harbor...

I loved the part where Jacqueline Kennedy renovated the White House. So cool! Of course, I love her. Wife, mother, single mom, working mom... I have always loved this quote by her...


If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much.

The library also contains all of Bobby Kennedy's papers as well. There is even an exhibit that is a replica of his office as Attorney General. It even has a pair of glasses on his desk and artwork done by his kids on the walls. A great Bobby Kennedy quote...

It was a little over the kids heads, but they were very good. And it was a good exercise in how we behave in a museum!

We then went back to the hotel, so we could park! The parade for the Celtics was today and downtown was pretty packed. We hit the Freedom Trail again and headed for the Old North Church. For those of you who haven't been here, there is an actual trail to follow! It's great. In the 50's they laid this path in the brick of the sidewalks connecting all the historical sites.

We have done just about everything on it. The Old North Church is really cool. Thomas was really looking forward to seeing where they hung the lanterns...One if by Land, Two if by Sea. He was a little ticked that we weren't allowed in the belfry! They did let us take pictures inside this one...I've never seen a pulpit quite like the one here. They had those same enclosed pews only these had their names on them. The guide said that back when it was the Church of England they paid annual dues and the more you paid the closer to the pulpit you got to sit! In a park just behind the church is a statue of Paul Revere. "The British are coming, the British are coming!"
The Old North Church is in the North End of Boston, which is an old Italian neighborhood. So, we had fantastic Italian food for dinner. Afterwards, we had desserts at Mike's, a local Italian pastry place. I think I'll let the picture do the talking.... After our phenomenal dessert, we walked back to Quincy Market to do a little souvenir shopping. Grace saw this girl selling hair accessories and wanted to stop. The girl was so sweet to her and after she made her choice she did Grace's hair with them! Thomas bought a fake hand. Boys.

Thomas's Top Five:

1. Seeing the church. 2. Playing with the fake hand I bought. 3. Going to dinner 4. Kennedy Library 5. Dessert..I had Oreo cheesecake.

Grace's Top Five:

1.Getting my hair clips. 2.Going to dinner 3.Going to the Presidential library 4.Dessert 5.Scrapbooking

Mandy's Favorites:

1.Getting my heart rock. 2. My chocolate cupcake and that cookie 3. Walking around

Tomorrow we are going just outside Boston the Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower, and tomorrow night is the Red Sox game at Fenway!

Blessings,

Leslie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You drove past Yankee Stadium in its last year and are going to Fenway Park? Oh well, I want to see the Green Monster one day as well.

Hope you see a good game. I hate the Red Sox personally, but they were the home to Ted Williams.