Whew! We made it through the first day. Scott and I both kept pinching ourselves at just how awesome all three kids were today. We left Rockwall about 7:00 and had an hour of errands, the bank, gas, ice, before we finally "really" got on the road. We made it all the way to Abilene before anyone needed to stop!
About 20 miles west of Abilene we started to have requests for lunch. About that time Scott and I began noticing the huge wind farm(s). They went on forever and were really cool. Scott wanted to stop and take a picture and luckily just then we saw a roadside park. So, we decided to stop and have our picnic lunch. Just for future reference, across the road from a wind farm is not the place to stop and picnic. Not only were the plates flying off the table, but the bread was flying off the tops of the sandwiches! You can see in the picture below that Grace is holding down her sandwich with her elbow!
After lunch we drove, drove and drove some more. The kids, read, colored, listened to their ipods (thank you Jane and Judy, you have no idea how grateful we are!), & played the license plate game. 
Even Mandy was good. She was the one I was most worried about today,but she was awesome. She watched "Finding Nemo" 3 times and "Toy Story", she colored in her Color Wonder books and drew on her magna-doodle.
We are finally in the hotel, the kids have all been swimming in the hotel pool and are now working in their scrapbooks. We are headed to bed early so we can be at the Carlsbad Caverns when they open in the morning.
Thomas Top Five for June 1, 2007:
1. "Looking out the window at the desert." He really had good time watching the landscape change today. I think he's beginning to grasp just how big Texas is. Grace kept asking every hour or so if we were still in Texas.
2. "Playing Soccer." After our windy picnic, we got out the soccer ball and let them play for awhile.
3. "The dead mouse at the gas station!" Yes, its true. We stopped for gas in West Texas about 150 miles past the middle of nowhere, and right by the pump was indeed a dead mouse. I have no idea why this was so facinating, except for the fact that he's a 7 year old boy. On a side note....I HAD to take a picture of this truck at that same gas station...such a Texas thing!!!
3. "The dead mouse at the gas station!" Yes, its true. We stopped for gas in West Texas about 150 miles past the middle of nowhere, and right by the pump was indeed a dead mouse. I have no idea why this was so facinating, except for the fact that he's a 7 year old boy. On a side note....I HAD to take a picture of this truck at that same gas station...such a Texas thing!!!
4. "Ice Cream." We found a great little ice cream shop on the main drag.

5. "Swimming." If they swim, this will without exception appear in the top five!
Grace's Top Five for June 1, 2007:1. "Looking for license plates." She really enjoyed this today and I think it's because last year she couldn't read well enough to play!
2. "Working in our notebooks in the car." I make them notebooks that have maps with questions about each state, atlas's...all kids of geography stuff. I try to find age appropriate things on each state we visit to put in there. Yeah, I know, but I miss teaching social studies, and this is the only lesson I get to plan anymore! 

3. "Having a picnic and drinking Crayola juice." I fould this flavored water that is the Crayola brand, it's bright red. The kids call it "Crayola juice." Scott told them it was made from freshly squeezed red crayons!
4. "Playing soccer!" I think they enjoyed getting out of the car and running around like maniacs.

5. "Swimming." 
Our fearless leader in his mobile command center. You wouldn't believe all the gadgets we have in the front seat this year! 

Our fearless leader in his mobile command center. You wouldn't believe all the gadgets we have in the front seat this year! 
Grace at the ice cream shop!
Blessings,
Leslie
No comments:
Post a Comment