This morning we had a late breakfast at an adorable restaurant in Benton Harbor. Then on the suggestion of a friend who grew up in Michigan, we headed to Saugatuck. It was a beautiful little town on the water. Lots of adorable little shops and restaurants. 
We bought several varieties of local handmade fudge...Walked along the harbor and checked out the yachts!
The flowers here are gorgeous. The hydrangeas here are huge and in every color.
Scott bought this shirt yesterday at the Miller brewing company store. He got some great comments on it from other men while walking around. What you can't read, in the fine print....I love it when my wife brings me a beer!
Here is the bible he took the oath of office on and the "cheat sheet" with the oath!
Also displayed was the dress Betty Ford wore as she stood beside him.
And, one of the letters from Nixon resigning from office...
There is a full size replica of the oval as it was during Ford's presidency....
And, also a replica of the Cabinet Room...
This is my favorite quote from the President that was never actually elected....
"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your president with your ballots. And so I ask you to confirm me as your president with your prayers. I have not campaigned for either the presidency or the vice presidency. I am indebted to no man and only to one woman-my dear wife-as I begin this very difficult job."
I just love the faith and humility present in that speech.
President Ford and Betty are buried on the museum grounds. It's a very pretty, gated and peaceful place by the water...
After we closed the Ford Museum we headed on to Lansing. After a Walmart run, we hung out in the hotel forming a plan for the next couple of days and playing Quelf....which got kinda crazy!
The weather here is so amazing. We are loving these cool crisp "spring like" days in July! I'm not sure how anyone who grows up here can ever acclimate to a hot Texas summer. It must feel like the surface of the sun!
Tomorrow we are going to tour the Henry Ford Auto museum and try to meet up with Scott's Aunt Liz in Cincinnati!
Michigan Blessings,
Leslie












No comments:
Post a Comment