Friday, November 21, 2014

Day One: New York City

We are headed to Ireland for the Thanksgiving break! Scott came across an awesome deal that was just too good for us to turn down. So, the 5 of us, plus my mom and dad are gonna spend a week exploring Ireland.

Our flight to Dublin leaves from JFK, so we flew to NYC today so that we didn't have to rush and worry about making connections.  Our flight left Dallas at 7:20 this morning.  Which means we left home at 4:45. Which means I got up at 4.  When the 4 is in the hundreds place, one should NOT be awake.  That is clearly the middle of the night!!  However, it did mean that we arrived in NYC at 11:20.

Since we had most of the day, we headed out as soon as we got checked in and settled at our hotel.  Of course our first stop was Juniors in Times Square!! This was my dad's first time to come to NYC, so we had to start him off right with a pastrami on rye!  Both girls had matzo ball soup and Dr. Brown's sodas.  They can order off the menu like true New Yorkers!

Please note the 6 story Katniss in the background!
 We wandered around Times Square for a while and then back to the hotel to rest for a bit before heading to Radio City Music Hall.  We went to see the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular.  It was awesome! I've toured Radio City twice and I've seen the Christmas show when it came to Dallas, but this was the first time to see an actual production there and Wow!! Of course the girls are amazing.  Mandy hardly took her eyes off the stage.  My favorite pare is the live nativity they do at the end of the show...
 Complete with wise men and real camels!!  It had taken forever to find 2 cabs to get us there, so when the show was over Scott decided we should all take a pedicab back! Oh. My. Word.  You think the cab drivers are crazy.  These guys are snaking in and out of traffic and you could literally reach out and touch the other cars.  Although I have to say it was warm and toasty in there and we didn't have to walk.  I did feel a bit sorry for the guys hauling me, Scott and both girls.  There is NO WAY I would do that for $3.99 a minute.  Crazy!  The kids LOVED this and thought it was awesome.

Mom, Dad, Thomas, Mandy and I came back to the hotel.  We were all exhausted.  Scott and Grace went out to see the 11:00 showing of Mockingjay!  

Tomorrow we will hang around NYC till about 2:00 and then head to JFK.  Our flight doesn't leave until 6 pm, but the airports were MOBBED today!!  So, we want to be there plenty early to get all our bags checked and thru security without having to rush.  

I apologize that this post seems as if it were written by a 2nd grader, but I did after all get up in the middle of the night and am having trouble forming a coherent thought.  I will strive for a livelier and more grammatically correct post next time If I can I'll up date before our flight takes off tomorrow evening.  Otherwise I'll post again when we get to IRELAND!!  

Blessings from NYC,
Leslie

No comments: