Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Eve! The strangest one I've ever had...

Scott and I began our Christmas Eve day with at trip to the Branson ER at 1 a.m.!  The cedar in Branson about did us all in.  I think of all the many things I'm allergic to, that cedar is the worst.  Helloooo....we were staying at the Big Cedar Lodge!   Never really occured to me that the reason they named it that could be because of the massive amount of CEDAR trees that consume it.  Grace and I...and Thomas and Mandy, were sick the entire time we were there.  

By the wee hours of Christmas Eve morning Grace's asthma couldn't take it.  And, being as I was a wee bit strung out before we left I had managed to pack the nebulizer, but not the medicine that goes in it.  So, I tried all the usual tricks and by 1:00 that morning it was clear none of them were working.  You know it's bad when your 7 year old is ASKING to go to the ER.  So, Scott and I headed out to experience the Branson, Missouri ER.  

It's a very small hospital.  The nurse checked us in and gave us a pager, so we settled in to wait. Already waiting were an older couple dressed in black leather...the man was the one there to be treated and looked as though he traveled with ZZ top at some point in his youth.  And, a couple a bit older than us was there with their 13 year old who'd been bitten by a dog.   We all sat in the wee hours of Christmas Eve in the Skaggs Community hospital watching... Real Housewives of Orange County.  The show was so trashy that Scott took Grace to walk around.
  Finally the other father in the room went and got the nurse and made her change the channel.  When Scott thanked him, he replied "No problem, they don't need to be watching that."  To which, ZZ top replies, "Ain't none of us need to be watching that.  Real Housewives of Orange County...ain't nothin real about a damn one of 'um!"  Fortunately, just then the nurse called us back to see the doctor.  Anyway, they cleared her out, wrote us a prescription and she's fine!  

Scott had promised her a donut afterwards, but donut stores do not stay open all night
 in Branson so she had to wait until much, much later in the morning...

We hit Krispy Kreme where we decided to try the Peppermint donuts.  Just for future reference, somethings should not be paired together and peppermint and donuts are one of them!  
We also grabbed a bit of ice cream while we were out!  Later that night, after dinner we put on our jammies and watched Polar Express in the "movie theater" before we all headed to bed to wait for Santa!

Blessings,
Leslie

2 comments:

The Brat Pack said...

Wow, that sounds like a fun Christmas Eve. ;)

Peppermint donuts? ICK!

Packard Party of 5 said...

I'm so glad Grace is ok! Going to the ER is always an experience and one I'm sure she'll never forget..........glad you made it back in time for Santa...whew!